Monday, May 17, 2010

My Introduction

Hello All,

I'm extremely excited right now about what this blog signifies. It signifies my next step into truly understanding the world of writing! But where are my southern manners?!?! Allow me to introduce myself.
My name is Desmond James and I'm on the dawn of my junior year at Eastern Michigan. My major is International Relations with a minor in Sociology. I love playing Baseball and Family Feud in my past time. I am one of let's just say many children and I love each sibling very much. Most importantly I LOVE to write!!! Now that you know a little bit about me let me tell you about how this all got started.
My sophomore year in High School I took an advance Lit. class with one of my favorite teachers, Ms. Downey. While in her class one of our assignments was to write a short story that incorporated a fantasy element. Well I took to this assignment like a pen to paper and began writing 10 pages of what a 15 year old would consider an action pack tour de force!! Well needless to say that looking back on that short story there were many imperfections with it. It all was still so exciting to me... a story about a girl who finds an odd relationship with a werewolf as she deals with the loss of her mother. What a soap opera!!! Well shortly thereafter I let a friend read my "masterpiece"... and she loved it, but she said it reminded her of something...Twilight!!! Well I soon picked up Stephenie Meyer's novel and was floored... having never read the series I realized that our stories were strikingly similar. Well I couldn't have that so I threw the story in my portfolio and closed it, never to gaze upon it again.
Well let's fast forward to December 2009. While home from college on Christmas break, I opened that portfolio and found that story (it was tragic, but sometimes it takes a break for a writer to evolve and see his/her mistakes). After reading it I remembered how in 10 pages I fell in love with the characters of my book. Those characters were real to me, each had a particular voice and a story to tell, and they deserved more than to sit in my portfolio and fade into my archive of adolescent writing. So I began to reanalyze and restructure my short story, which soon became far to big to just be a short story- and so Lycanthrope Awakening was created and I couldn't be happier.
So fellow bloggers I have created this blog to document my success, my failures, and hopefully here your feedback as I pursue finishing a story that has been/is a true labor of love!!

P.S. Look for weekly previews of certain parts to my book!

No comments:

Post a Comment